Life in the Diaspora

About five years ago, I became a member of a really interesting group. I usually would prefer to use the word ‘community’. I became a part of the community of Nigerians in Diaspora. When I left Nigeria, I said my goodbyes to my friends and family. Little did I know that maybe being so far away from home, won’t feel so bad. I soon found a community of other Nigerians close to me and connected with so many more in the virtual space thanks to facebook! I realized that I could still enjoy things that reminded me of home, even though I was no longer tied to the physical location of Nigeria. But one argument that always faces most members of Diaspora regardless of what country you originally might be from, is what do you need to do to show your patriotism to your country.

This is always an interesting conversation especially amongst my friends in Diaspora. Because one person follows as many Nigeria lifestyle sites or what we should call ‘gossip’ sites and hence seems to have more current information on matters going on in their ‘home’ country; such an individual is seems as more patriotic. Some other people feel you need to go to as many gatherings (parties, dinners discussions etc) that have anything to do with your country. Other feel you definitely have to have the African channel on your cable listings. The list is endless. I don’t think there is a right or wrong option. Being part of a Diaspora is for me a very advantageous because you have the opportunity to enjoy the community of others from your home country and at the same time appreciate your ‘new’ community of your present physical location. Being patriotic to your original home country can be expressed in different ways by different people. Nigeria’s Independence Day is next week- October 1st! I’m looking forward to that! Even though I can’t be physically in Nigeria, I am looking forward to connecting with other Nigerians in the area!

0 comments

Post a Comment