Can I join your network?

There have been a couple of new changes to my life over the past few months. First major change was getting used to the crazy expensive DC lifestyle which was so different from what I was used to in Michigan. The second major change was getting used to the metro! I love this change. The transportation in Michigan sucked! But I think my biggest change has been that for some reason I haven't been on facebook.

I immediately thought, it had to be my masters program that is keeping me extremely busy. But then I realized that I had moved my attention to something else. Let my introduce my new love to you... Twitter! I know I must sound so old school for just getting serious with twitter. Like the Black Eyed Peas song maybe I'm so '2000-and-late'. But song lyrics aside, my twitter experience has been very meaningful because of the network I am gradually building.

I had a twitter account since 2010, but my twitter experience wasn't so meaningful until I took some time to build my network. From the readings this week I have been able to realize why knowing the opinion leaders and really understanding your network can be huge resource. Not only am I able to know what my friends are up to, but I am also able to get real time information on things that matter to me. So I've been tweeting (I don't really go all crazy with the tweets) but I enjoy the twitter space so much more. It is also less tedious than facebook.

As I got done with my readings, I thought to myself, would people want to be a part of my network? What am I contributing? What do I want to contribute? With the right answers to this question, the question that would rightfully follow would be "Can I join your network?"

2 comments

  1. Like you Ayanfe I have had a Twitter account since 2010, but I have not spent the time to build up my network, nor go on it anymore. I think it could be the fact that I do not feel the need to share everything with everyone in 140 characters (think back to AIM Away messages when they first came out "School 9-2, then lunch with a friend, then class again till 5, and then going for drinks at the bar, call me at 555-555-5555"!) You do not need to know where I am 24/7 and I do like some privacy thank you. Now I know I don't have to share anything on Twitter in order to follow people, but a second occurrence also made me cautious about Twitter, and that was the notice one day that "So and So is following you" Huh? Who is this person? I haven't even typed a single word? Why are they following me? Maybe I need to get over my privacy issues and join up again, but it will probably take me a while, so fear not. You are not the last person that joined Twitter. :)

  2. Oh...Thank Heavens! I thought I was the last one! LOL! But you have a point, I wonder how sometimes I get some random followers... That is really crazy. But give twitter a try... you might actually like it. I don't say where I am...oh no! I'm mega privacy most of the time. So I understand your concern about that. But try twitter out. You might just like it.

Post a Comment